Saturday, June 30, 2012

Video Series - Ancient Philosophy of Mathematics

I have started a series of videos on the Ancient Philosophy of Mathematics on my YouTube channel.  The series currently has 6 videos and I will be adding more in the future.  In this first set of videos, we discuss the Pythagorean and Platonic perspectives on mathematical philosophy.  The focus will be on metaphysics and ontology, symbolism and contemplation, and anagogue, or spiritual ascent.  We will be drawing material from the Introduction to Arithmetic by Nicomachus of Gerasa as well as Proclus' Commentary on Euclid's Elements.

I have posted the descriptions and links to the first 6 videos in the series on the Via Mathesis blog.  Here is a link to the post:

Video Series - Ancient Philosophy of Mathematics

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the series. This is the first time I have been introduced to this type of mathematical meditation to raise one's spiritual awareness. I look forward to your future videos in this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenn I am currently planning and developing the next set of videos to add to the series. They will focus on geometric constructions and give indications for treating this as a meditative discipline.

      Delete